The Sanctuary

Built in 1909, the First Church of Christ Scientist is a historic landmark structure given new life through its renovation into 12 townhomes. Modifications to the historic structure were designed by working closely with the Landmark Preservation Board. Original interior plaster details are preserved in the dwelling units, and the original stained glass skylight dome graces a central atrium which serves as a focal point, creating a play between the old-world craftsmanship and modern dwelling units.

  • Client

    First Church
  • Status

    Completed 2012
  • Total SF

    39,985
  • Residential SF

    26,471
  • Residential Units

    12
  • Partners

This Sanctuary combines the practices of historic preservation and adaptive reuse to revive a century-old church into a luxurious multifamily building.